AirBnb Unincorporated San Bernardino Rules

San Bernardino County, CA

It’s important for you to understand your local laws if you want to become an Airbnb host. We provide a platform and marketplace, but we don’t provide legal advice. Even so, we want to share some info to help you understand laws and other rules that relate to short term rentals in San Bernardino County. The information in this article isn’t exhaustive, but it should help you start your research on local laws. If you have questions, contact San Bernardino County Land Use Services Code Enforcement, tax department, or another local authority, such as a local lawyer or tax professional.

Unincorporated county rules

The information in this article only applies to unincorporated communities in San Bernardino County. If you live in a city or town within San Bernardino County, please contact your local city administrator or planning department for more information.

Short term rental permits

San Bernardino County’s short-term residential rental ordinance states that you’ll need a short term rental permit to offer whole or partial accommodations for 30 or fewer days. The application fee is $599 and the renewal fee is $359. You’re required to renew every 2 years. San Bernardino conducts an property inspection as part of both the initial registration and renewal process. Note: If you’re buying or selling a property that already has a permit, the new owner can transfer it by contacting the County within 30 days of taking the title.

Don’t operate or rent without a permit, even if you’ve already started the application process.

The County imposes a $430 Surrounding Property Owner Notification Fine to anyone who operates a short term rental without a permit.

Check San Bernardino County Land Use Services’ site for more info on short term rentals.

Transient Occupancy Tax

San Bernardino County imposes a 7% Transient Occupancy Tax on amounts paid by guests for occupancies that last 30 or fewer days. You’ll need to apply for a Transient Occupancy Registration Certificate to collect the tax. The county tax office mails a form to every active certificate holder each quarter. You’ll need the form to submit your statements, but you won’t need to include payment because we collect occupancy taxes on your behalf.

San Bernardino’s tax and treasury site has info on short term rentals and the Transient Occupancy Tax, including an FAQ, various forms (like the exemption form), and more.

Other rules

This article is about county rules and regulations, but remember to check with your community about other types of local rules if your home belongs to a condo complex, HOA, timeshare, or other tenant organization. If you lease, check your contract or contact your landlord to make sure you’re permitted to sublet.

Our commitment to your community

We are committed to working with local officials to clarify how local rules impact the short term rental community. We will continue to advocate for changes that will enable people to rent out their homes.